Blog Post #11: The Negatives of Social Media

 

The Negatives of Social Media


image source: jobcluster.com

Social media is used every day to connect with friends, families, and colleagues. I generally view it as a positive tool when used appropriately. This week, I decided to explore some of the negative effects of social media. The topics I researched involved cyberbullying and isolation; topics that are often discussed when addressing the bad side of social media. Here's what I found and my thoughts about these topics:

Social Media and Isolation 

In the Wall Street Journal article, The Lonely Burden of Today's Teenage Girls, Mary Pipher and Sarah Pipher Gilliam discuss how this generation of girls is the loneliest on record. The article states that in a research study conducted by the University of Michigan found, "...since 2007—the dawn of the smartphone era—girls have dramatically decreased the amount of time they spend shopping, seeing friends or going to movies. We found that many girls spend their Saturday nights home alone, watching Netflix and surfing social media" (Pipher and Pipher Gilliam). I found this to be pretty alarming, but I wasn't surprised. Many of the teenage students I've had in my classes have confessed that they spend their weekend bingeing the newest Netflix show instead of participating in an activity with friends. The article also mentions that girls are becoming less self-sufficient because help is always one phone call away. Reflecting on my childhood, I somewhat agree with this statement. Without being able to call home at a moment's notice, I was left to solve more problems on my own. This is an idea I hadn't previously considered, and how not being self-sufficient could lead to more anxiety and self-doubt. 

Cyberbullying Yourself?

Everyone's cracked a joke at themselves when feeling insecure. However, I can honestly say I have never heard of teenagers cyberbullying themselves from fake accounts. The Washington's Posts article, Digital self harm: What to do when kids bully themselves, was eye-opening for me. In a research study by Ryan Meldrum, researcher and professor at Florida International University, it was found that 10% of middle school and high school students in Florida had bullied themselves online (Fraga). The article also states that this type of behavior can be a result of anxiety, depression, or need for attention and control. I think that this would be a good topic to cover with students in a technology class. I also believe that incorporating more social-emotional learning, such as lessons on self-esteem, could help to alleviate this behavior. Teens who participate in this type of behavior need an alternative method to get what they are seeking from peers and adults.


imagesource: gcf

Takeaways

Social media can be fun and helpful for both teenagers and adults. For all the positives that social media brings, the negatives cannot be ignored. While I already knew that social media can have isolating effects for some people, I never knew that teenagers have been bullying themselves online. Even though this was new to me, I understand how someone struggling with their image and mental health could do this. Teaching children and teens about the positives and negatives of social media is important to avoid some of these feelings of depression, isolation, and anxiety. A conversation about these topics in the classroom could at least alert students about why they may feel this way and provide a healthier alternative for dealing with these feelings.

Sources

Fraga, J. (2021, February 28). Digital self-harm: What to do when kids cyberbully themselves. The Washington Post. Retrieved October 17, 2021, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/26/self-cyberbullying-digital-self-harm/. 


Pipher, M., & Gilliam, S. P. (2019, August 15). The lonely burden of today's teenage girls. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 17, 2021, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lonely-burden-of-todays-teenage-girls-11565883328?mod=e2fb. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1: Welcome to My Blog!

Blog Post #5: Active Learning: QR Codes

Professional Learning Networks